One of the biggest tech events of the year, the WWDC 2017 is the time where Apple gets to show off all their latest devices, software, as well as talk about their plans for the months to follow. At this event, Apple showed off the new macOS - the macOS High Sierra, as well as brought updates to Apple TV and introduced watchOS 4. Apple has now introduced iMac (2017) devices, as well as the iMac Pro. Let us take a look at all the specifications and features:
WWDC 2017: iMac (2017) Specifications
The iMac (2017) was announced by Apple’s VP of engineering, John Ternus. Let us take a look at the specifications and features of this new iMac from Apple. It comes out in three variants - a regular 21.5 inched variant, a 4K 21.5 inched variant and a 27 inched variant:
- John Ternus begins his presentation by talking about the display. The new iMac (2017) comes out with ‘the best Mac display ever’. It comes with a brightness of 500 nits, making it 43% more brighter than their previous model. This beast of a device can display 1 Billion Colors! Yes, let that sink in.
- The newly introduced iMac is a beast, as we mentioned earlier. It comes out with Intel’s latest Kaby Lake processors of the seventh generation, along with 32GB of RAM for the 21.5 inched variant and 64GB of RAM for the 27 inched variant.
- Fusion Drives standard has been brought to both the variants too.
- When it comes to graphics, the devices are very impressive. The regular 21.5 inched variant gets the Iris Plus 640 GPU, and the 21.5-inched 4K variant gets Radeon Pro 555 & 560 GPUs. The 27-inched variant of the iMac (2017) gets Radeon Pro 570, 575 and 580 GPUs.
Pricing details of the new iMac (2017) have also been announced. Prices start at $1,099, for the regular 21.5 inched variant, while the 4K variant starts at $1,299 .The 27 inched iMac begins at $1,799.
WWDC 2017: iMac Pro
The iMac Pro comes out with the same design as the 27 inched iMac. However, it comes out in a “Space Grey” color. This is the most powerful machine ever built by Apple.
- One of the core highlights of this new iMac Pro device is the cooling system that it comes with. It comes out with three CPU variants - featuring 8 cores, 10 cores and 18 cores!
- When it comes to graphics, the iMac Pro offers Radeon Vega graphics with up to 16GB of VRAM! The iMac Pro runs a 1080p facetime camera. It sports a 5K display, by the way.
- An absolute beast from all fronts. Talking of storage, the iMac Pro comes out with support for up to 128GB ECC memory and up to 4TB of 3GB/s SSD storage. The device comes out with 3 thunderbolt 3 ports, as well as supports 10-Gigabit Ethernet.
Talking of the pricing, Apple said that such a device can cost more than $7000 (with a 5K display). However, the most basic model would cost $4,999.